You have something special coming up – your child’s wedding, a significant birthday or an anniversary. Or maybe you’re going on the trip of a lifetime. There are a 100 reasons why you might like to look your absolute best at these times and the earlier you start your beautifying journey the better.
Whatever you decide you need to change, these are some basics for you to think about:
Eat well – stop the processed foods and refined sugars and consider adding a good quality probiotic and pre-biotic to your daily routine. You might consider a 3 day detox to get you started. This is help with the hydration of your skin, the general quality and clarity.
Alcohol – have at least 3 alcohol-free days a week and ensure you are drinking at least 2 litres of water a day.
Exercise daily – 30 min of exercise a day gets oxygen into your body, your mind and your skin and helps you de-stress about the whole affair.
Sleep – if you are a poor sleeper, talk to your doctor and try some meditation. Experiment with not eating or eating different foods in the evening.
Then you can think specifics
Most people would like their faces to look good in photos and looking good usually means looking younger. Your expectations, the condition of your skin and the amount of time you have before the event will contribute to your decision making as to…
“what on earth should I have done?!”
Your end goal along with your current age and general health will mean the difference between enjoying a simple firming and hydrating facial 2 days prior to your special event or having a program of care developed for you by a skin care professional therapist to improve your skin over weeks or months. If your therapist is good, they’ll see you for regular in-clinic treatments and provide you with home care products to keep you moving forward to looking younger.
Unfortunately, not infrequently in the clinic we see 50 and 60 year old women who have had their special event planned for months and consider that what they want to achieve in their skin can be done with 1 or 2 treatments over just one month.
Although change will be seen, better results that last longer take a little more time!
We’ve put together a timeline for you. Obviously, it all depends on your age and your skin’s condition, but generally the more time we have with your skin, the better the result – and this means a better-looking and younger-looking you! Plus, throughout the process, your skin will be becoming healthier and healthier, which means you’ll be younger-looking for longer. It is a bonus! The morning after the event you really don’t want to wake up looking as you did prior to starting your new skin care regime!
Every plan must begin with a comprehensive skin consultation with a qualified therapist. For best results – guess what?
You need to follow their instructions!
There are some skin care items almost everyone needs before a special event: a specialised eye cream, neck cream and a home care mask – there’s one for everyone and every age.
- Two newer products are the CosMedix Illuminate and Lift Neck and Decolletage cream and the PCA Neck and Décolletage Cream . Both are proving themselves to be fantastic and, honestly, any of our eye creams will help any fine lines, puffiness and dark circles you may have.
- The Rolls Royce of our eye creams is the CosMedix Elite Eye Doctor so its always our go-to for pre special events though for more sensitive skins you might like the Organic Nation Eye Matrix Cream.
Chaffing, dry, thin lips?
- We recommend the PCA Peptide Lip Therapy cream. It softens and hydrates, as the fine lines on and around your lips decrease. YAY!
- If you like a little colour on your legs and arms, you need to decide – spray tan or fake tan? Test your choice out well beforehand, so you know you like the colour, the feel and your skin is happy in it. Our Three Warriors sun-less tanning range is Certified Organic, is amazingly simple to use and gives great cover, an olive natural colour and is as good for your skin as you’ll get in tanning products. It can give you an immediate colour or you can build it up over a few days, which is great if you are going on holidays and don’t want to start lily-white, but then want to boost your own colour as the days go by. Just ensure to test it out on your skin first though.
3 – 12 Months Prior
You are smart and lucky to have this much time. You can go slow and steady and reap fantastic long-term results!
- Start with the hydration of your skin. Once this is corrected, and unless you have perfect skin and are under 25 you are likely to have some degree of dehydration. Using a product containing growth factors and/or stem cells, plus a hydrating facial or two will make a significant difference.
- If you have dull slow skin you’ll need to stimulate and exfoliate, both with home care products and in-clinic treatments.
*ingredients such as Lactic acid, enzyme action cleansers and masks will tick off this box.
- Nourishment – you have to feed your skin to keep it healthy. Eating a good diet is not enough as your skin only gets 10% of the goodies you eat – your body steals the rest!
- With nourishing antioxidants to finish off with every morning.
- To lift and tone and improve the texture of your skin you need a Vitamin A serum. The right form and the right % should not cause you any concerns. There is a Vitamin A for every skin even the most sensitive and reddened, however these latter skin’s should really strengthen and build the immunity of their skin prior to starting on an A. Some growth factors and Stem cells will help. See our page on Rosacea (even if you don’t have it, the regime will help you)
- Protection both day and night.
- A lovely rich night cream such as Aspect’s SMC will help and for a day cream you need to save your skin from the ageing UV’s, CosMedix Hydrate+ is your answer.
If you have a few months, let your therapist guide you. If you came to us at The Skin Care Clinic and had 6 months before a posh do, planning on at least one facial treatment per month (4-weekly), our plan would look something like this:
- A skin consultation with a tailor made for you Hydrating Medifacial
- 2 weeks later: a Lactobotanical facial – boosts hydration, stimulates and gently exfoliates as it heals and repairs cell membranes and the top layers of your skin.
- 2 weeks later: either continue with increasing strengths of Lactobotanical treatments, specific peels or begin a regime of alternating Vitamin A Infusions with Dermafrac each month. Depending on your skin you could squeeze in another tailor made facial at the 2 week mark or be giving your self a home Mask treatment each week.
- If you have a lot of pigmentation, visible capillaries or loose skin a course of Intense Pulsed Light Treatments would be ideal instead of or in addition to either of the above.
Less Than 6 Months
The essentials are as above, however do your best to squeeze in fortnightly visits to your therapist. Each month they’ll give you a highly active treatment and each fortnight a more healing, hydrating, soothing treatment. It will advance your skin much faster.
With only a month to go – Read our 10 Super tips to make Looking good easy!
If you’ve done your planning and have been diligent with your home care and the love of your therapist
- Continue on with your in clinic treatments and your home care until around 2-4 weeks prior to your event when you will closely examine the results – celebrate and decide on the little things which will make the difference at this stage.
- Ensure you have all your makeup and give yourself a run through. This way you know you have all you need and, if being professionally done, you like the effect.
- Book in for a hydrating, plumping treatment 2-4 days prior to your big day!
- If you are travelling – book in for one on your return as well. It’s the best thing to return your skin to normal, or better than normal after a long haul flight.
If you’ve haven’t planned or the event has been sprung on you
- Quick smart – book in for that consultation and get your skin hydrated!
- Enjoy 2-3 facial treatments up to the week prior,
- Book a special facial treatment 1-3 days prior to the event.
- Add a Hyaluronic serum and growth factors; Stemfactor plus the incredible Rescue serum to your home care to plump the fine lines as well as you can.
- Depending on your skin condition use your home care mask 2-3 times weekly rather than weekly and, if necessary use 2 or 3 different masks one after. A lovely example of this is;
- First – the CosMedix Detox Mask – leave it on for 10-15 min and wash off well – this mask is good for sensitive skins as well as congested oily skins. Follow this with …
- Second – The CosMedix Bamboo Glow mask – use as above and then…
- Third – The CosMedix Restore hydrating mask – you’ll love the effects, finally…
- Finish with serums and moisturisers – WOW – you’ll be radiant!
Go on out, be beautiful, remember to breathe and enjoy!!!
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor. Offering information on what skincare products are best for you. Check out our range of in-clinic services today.
Otherwise fill in the Online Skin Consultation. Our skin care advisor will happily help you. Choosing the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.
Check out our latest Specials!