Planning a trip? Putting some time into considering your skin care needs might be the difference between returning with a well hydrated, happy and healthy skin or one which takes months to recover from all the stresses of your trip.
When you are travelling, whether it is to warmer climes or the snow, whether you go 5 star, glamping or back packing, you need to consider your skin. It’s not just about looking good, but about ensuring your skin is healthy so it can age gracefully.
Flights, change of climate, polluted atmosphere, different water and diet all influence how your skin is – down deep. It maybe that you don’t see the change immediately, though you usually feel fairly quickly that it feels different. We hear it described as Yuk, dirty, dry, or like it needs a good clean depending on where you have been!
We’ve put together the fundamentals of travel skin made easy for you, however before you read on i do suggest you book for a hydrating medi-facial before you go and then within a week of your return especially if you are on a long haul flight or going to a highly polluted area. For this reason we give you the 2 for 1 travellers facial – just Book and pay for them together. Let us know when you book for your first one.
Fundamentals of caring for our skin when travelling:-
- Keep it clean – when going to polluted areas use a mask in the shower instead of a cleanser every day.
- Nourish – Antioxidants and Growth factors. Morning and evening. The growth factors especially help with flight and UV dehydration. Vitamin C is the most important antioxidant for travellers.
- Leave your actives, especially Vitamin A at home. The stress your skin feels combined with you’re Vitamin A will over stimulate your skin, causing irritation, flaking and sensitivity.
- UV protection – zinc based and every day!
The basic products for travel skin made easy are:-
Most people don’t want to take a lot of products away so we’ve narrowed down our list to the most important products to take with you for each skin type. I have * the products which come in kit sizes.
- Cleanser/Mask – Osmosis MD Polish*
- Antioxidants – Osmosis MD Replenish*
- Growth Factors – Osmosis MD Rescue Serum
- UV Protection – Osmosis MD Protect*
- Cleanser/Mask – Aspect Dr Fruit Enzyme Mask
- Antioxidants – Aspect Dr Redless
- Growth Factors – Aspect SMC
- UV Protection – Aspect Envirostat Dry Touch SPF 50
- Cleanser/Mask – CosMedix Pure Enzymes
- Antioxidants – CosMedix Affirm or CosMedix Radiance
- Growth Factors – Osmosis MD Stemfactor
- UV Protection – CosMedix Hydrate +
If you’d like a water spray you can use throughout the day I suggest CosMedix Mystic or Osmosis MD Boost. Both are based on heavy water, contain antioxidants and help with other ingredients to penetrate.
If you love your makeup – check out our recommendations for travel makeup!
And if you are going away somewhere where the diet will be richer than you are used to, or simply different with a lot less in the vegetable department a handy hint which I ALWAYS take with me – even to a family weekend in Melbourne – a supply of Super foods. It is so simple to grab a glass of water, a teaspoon and my 3 super foods – mix it all together and scull it down after a hard night or before a busy day; it keeps me sane and helps me cope. It’s not so vital to take them everyday – just when they are needed. Plus they are easy to slide in the side of a suitcase.
One last, not essential product which again always finds itself in my bag – CosMedix Rescue Balm – relief for a sore, dry, dehydrated skin. Use it straight or mix with any moisturiser: Ahhhhhh… i can feel my skin breathe! This magic balm can also heal any cuts, blisters, burns, tinea – YES, that awful problem caught from other people’s showers which makes holidays unpleasant and you need hardly any!!
Last hint – pack your skin care products in more zip-lock bags – the best packaging in the world can fail sometimes so be prepared.
I hope this is helpful for all your winter escapees.
Enjoy your trip, enjoy your skin and see you soon!