Alpha Lipoic acid – does your skin need it?
Alpha Lipoic acid, also known as Lipoic acid, ALA or thioctic acid is a very special antioxidant, both for our skin as well as our bodies and brains. Like other antioxidants, it can be taken orally (food and drink) as well as applied topically. It is naturally found in all sorts of foods, from spinach and broccoli to offal and rice bran; it can also be taken as a supplement. You can see that it is an easy nutrient to enjoy in some form every day, even if you don’t like eating brains, spleen or kidney. Spinach is loaded with it!
Why is it special? Because it is both water and oil soluble…
Vitamin C, for example, being a water-soluble vitamin, is absorbed by cells when it’s taken with water. It cannot be stored in fat and so we need to give it to our cells every day.
Vitamins A, E, D and K on the other hand need to be taken with food, with fat for our body to absorb and utilise them.
ALA will be absorbed whatever it is eaten or drunk with, being delivered into the cells easily so is useful both IN and OUTSIDE the cell.
Does your skin need it?
Yes it does.
We need to eat it and use it topically to really assist in slowing down the ageing process and decreasing inflammation. When our body is healthy our skin will age more slowly and be clearer, so the answer has to be a simple YES!
What are Alpha Lipoic Acid benefits for skin though? Easy, check out this amazing list!
- It is a fantastic ingredient for sensitive skins as it seldom creates any irritation and will soothe dry, red, irritated skin beautifully.
- It is the perfect choice for winter dry skins. Add a product such as Immerse to your usual moisturiser both day and night throughout the colder, dryer months.
- Due to its ability to slow the breakdown of collagen it;
- It is a natural exfoliant, clearing out pores, minimising their appearance and clearing up pimples… especially dry skin breakouts.
- Decreases fine scars and erase pink/brown marks following a pimple, including inflammatory scars.
- Assists in the regulation of oil production.
- Removes dullness from an ageing skin.
- It will improve skin texture, making it soft, more even toned and giving it a healthy glow.
- It will treat under eye puffiness and eye-bags over time.
Generally, Alpha Lipoic Acid skin care is in creams, lotions and eye products. We have many products across our brands containing it, and suggest everyone should be applying it daily to their face, neck and décolletage, as well as eating it.
It is so good for our skin, but equally so for our body!
We thought we’d share some of the benefits for you – think of these as you munch on your spinach and brussel sprouts tonight (2 foods very high in ALA)!
It is one of the very few antioxidants that crosses the blood brain barrier. This means that our brain cells can reap the benefits of antioxidant nourishment.
- It is 400 times more powerful than vitamins A, C and E being both potent and versatile.
- It is a key factor in the energy cycle of the cell – feeling tired? Maybe you need some ALA.
- It decreases or stops the creation of cross-linking of proteins which influence the ageing process: wrinkle formation, hardening of arteries, and joint stiffness.
- It is anti-inflammatory throughout the body
- It assists in the elimination of some toxic chemicals from the body.
- It decreases the neurological effect that chronic diseases such as Diabetes can have on the body.
Which products contain Alpha Lipoic acid?
As well as having a Vitamin A Infusion, you can enjoy this antioxidant at home through various moisturisers, serums and eye creams listed below.
Take care: Alpha Lipoic Acid serum is quite sensitive to degradation by sunlight. Like all your skin care products it needs to be kept on the bathroom shelf, out of direct sunlight, but where you will not forget to use it every day. Beside your sunblock possibly?
Higher concentrations (5% or greater) are capable of causing a burning or stinging sensation on skin, however seldom are higher % used in CosMedix products.
Best Selling Moisturisers with Alpha Lipoic Acid for skin
Best Selling Alpha Lipoic Acid Serums
Tonic for Acne Skin Conditions
Specialised Eye Creams/Serums
Still not sure?
Do you need more help or would like personalised advice? Book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor. Offering information on what skin care products are best for you. Check out our range of in-clinic services today.
Otherwise fill in the Online Skin Consultation. Our skin care advisor will happily help you. Choosing the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.
Check out our latest Specials!