How do you clear congested pores?
Understand what is happening.
Run your fingers gently over your face. If it feels smooth, similar to a baby’s bum it is well hydrated and in excellent condition. If it feels rough and easily flakes it is probably dry, quite impaired and dehydrated. If it feels bumpy and rough and looks dull and dirty it is likely your skin, or the skin of your teen has congested pores.
You do not need to have pimples or be a certain age to have congested skin however it is commonly associated with teens and menopause and is often seen (felt) on the chest, shoulders and back as well as the face.
Congestion is a term used to describe skin which has clogged pores. These are seen as blackheads and whiteheads making the bumps and dirty look associated with it. Blackheads are when the clogged substance is close to the surface with the air making them appear black and whiteheads are the deeper ones, harder to treat and not accessible to the air.
The overall cause is, of course those pesky hormones we all have, however why some people skin’s develop these problems and others don’t is due to a number of factors all of which contribute differently to the problem.
- A build-up of excess oil & sebum
- Dead cells which are produced constantly as our cells turnover
- Environmental pollution and the daily dirt
- Toxins being expelled by the body via your sweat
- Makeup & Skin care
- Insufficient cleansing
- Products full of toxins such as petrochemicals, SLS & other nasty’s
Genetics and lifestyle issues play an enormous part in how the hormones act on the skin and so the treatment plan has to revolve around these.
Treatment to clear congested pores
Treatment is slightly different to a skin with pimples though as congestion often leads to pimples our overall plan is similar. What we aim for is to change the pH of the skin, keep it well hydrated, build its immunity, stimulate cell turnover and keep the skin scrupulously clean without damaging the surface layers. Harsh scrubs & cleansers simply cause inflammation, drying the skin and causing a rebound oil production.
Non-mineral makeup can add to the problem as the ingredients often are sticky and inflammatory. If you must wear makeup choose a brand which enhances the health of your skin as well as covers the spots. Check out some tips how the ColourScience and Osmosis Colour brands can fit this bill perfectly for you.
1. Internal health – good diet, high in protein and all the colours of the rainbow, low in carbs and sugar and minimal processed foods.
- Manage your stress with sufficient sleep, regular exercise and taking time to do fun things.
- Help your skin flush out the toxins by drinking at least 2 litres of water daily.
2. Keep all your skin clean – that includes regular hair and hair brush washing, regular pillow case changing, and wearing breathable clean clothes.
- Sometimes there is a need to change to a sensitive skin washing powder for your clothes.
- Ensuring your personal body products don’t contain nasty’s.
- Keep your hands clean and off your face. Do not pick, scratch or rub your face.
- De-contaminate eye brow tweezers and makeup brushes – any tool which touches your face.
3. Specific skin care;
- Double cleanse your face at the end of the day. The first removes makeup and surface grime and the second to really clean into the pores. Either Osmosis MD Purify or Aspect Dr Deep Clean.
- Give yourself a non-drying enzyme exfoliation treatment twice a week. The Fruit Enzyme Mask from Aspect is perfect as the antioxidants in it will nourish your skin as it deeply and safely cleans. Removing the dead cells also helps your moisturiser to work and your makeup to sit well. Discover the best mask for your skin and enjoy the fact that this week they are on SALE!
- Antioxidants need to include Vitamins B and C as contained in Osmosis MD Replenish or the separate Aspect Dr ones: Multi B and Active C. The little red marks left after a pimple are inflammatory and although they will heal and disapper on their own, Pure Vitamin C will accelerate this process for you. The CosMedix Pure C Crystals can be added to other serums for ease and effectiveness.
- Build the strength and immunity of your skin with growth factors such as Osmosis MD Rescue Serum and Vitamin A Serums though the Osmosis MD Clarify or the Aspect Dr Problem Skin serums are all excellent.
- Protect your skin from UV’s every day. Choose a non-greasy water based SPF either in a light cream or a lotion so it’s doesn’t sit heavily on your skin. Although sunshine appears to help in the long run it doesn’t. Both the Reflect from CosMedix and the Aspect Dry touch meet these requirements.
Sourcing a clinic where you can get good advice and 2-4 weekly Lactobotanical facial treatments will really boost your home care.
Lastly, don’t be disheartened if your skin gets worse before it is better. All that congestion has to be brought to the surface and your skin stimulated. Sometimes a “dirty, dull” skin becomes an acneic one during this time so be reassured action and change are good!
Still not sure?
Fill in the Online Skin Consultation and Gaye, our registered nurse will happily help you to choose the right products for your skin type or concern.