1. I shall eat a better diet
Did you know that medical professionals refer to your gut as your ‘second brain’? Well this is because, just like the brain in our heads, the gut influences so many aspects of our health and in particular, our skin.
For example, redness experienced around the nose may indicate inflammation in the gut. Small bumps or pimples on the forehead and cheekbone indicate a candida overgrowth in the gut.
So with this in mind, it’s so important for us to keep our gut healthy. A good diet with plenty of red meat, oily fish and plenty of leafy greens should do the trick. And staying away from those processed, sugary foods and drinks will also help to keep our gut in tip top shape. But for some of us, we still need a little help. The super-foods from the Miessence Vitality Pack are packed full of alkalising greens, anti-ageing antioxidants and probiotics to boost your immune system! Experience health like never before… and it will show on your skin.
2. I shall drink more water
Yes, yes, yes… we have heard it all before. But it’s true! In order for our bodies to function properly, we must stay hydrated. And that means drinking at least 2 litres of water per day. Think of water like a moisturiser, only from the inside out. If our skin isn’t getting a sufficient amount of water, our skin can turn dry, flaky and tight. When our skin is dry, it has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling!
3. I shall not stress
‘Don’t Stress’ is a common thing people say to one another. In fact, the phrase ‘Mum, don’t stress’ is something I hear far too often from my 22 year old son! But the truth of the matter is, we stress. We stress about work, we stress about family, our kids, our kids’ kids. But what is all this stress doing to our skin? Cortisol, a major stress hormone, influences our skin by increasing inflammation which is no help to those with acne! Even those without acne can suffer from breakouts as cortisol can increase the oil our sebaceous glands produce. While the stress doesn’t stop, we can make a few simple changes to lessen it. Taking some time out in our busy lives to relax, do something we love or taking 5 minutes out of the day to meditate. These have all shown to lower cortisol levels and get us on our way to less stress.
4. I shall go to bed earlier
Sleep – it’s not called ‘Beauty Sleep’ for nothing! Just like the rest of our body, our skin repairs itself while we are sleeping. Not only are we producing new cells in our slumber, our collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid increases, helping to keep our skin firm, plump and hydrated. During sleep, our melatonin levels increase, which is a big antioxidant booster and fights those age spots and fine lines. When our sleep is inadequate, our immune system suffers, making our repair response sluggish. This has a particularly negative impact on those who suffer from acne as a sluggish immune system finds it difficult to fight bacteria.
So if you’re reading this in bed, put your phone away, snuggle down and aim for those magic 8 hours (after this newsletter of course!!)…
5. I shall nourish my skin
Once you have your inner health in check, you can look at your skin care. For our skin to be functioning as it should be, we need to have the right products that are packed full of active ingredients that will nourish, heal and target any individual skin concerns. And of course, they should not contain any nasties. But choosing the right skin care can be tricky. What works for some, won’t necessarily work for others. But what we do believe as a general rule is that everyone should be on a minimum of the following;
Recommended Skin Care
- A great cleanser for morning and night. Our picks are the Osmosis MD Purify Enzyme Cleanser, a gentle exfoliating cleanser that is suitable for most skin types. For the sensitive skin, we love the Aspect Gentle Clean, cleansing enough to remove even makeup without irritating.
- Vitamin A serum for anti-ageing and rejuvenation is a must for those over 18 who desire significant results. For an entry level A that is suitable for moderately sensitive skins, we just love Osmosis MD Calm. Another popular A is the Aspect Dr Exfol A Plus.
- Vitamin B and Vitamin C to turbo charge your skin’s healing process. With these beauties, you will feel more hydrated, see sun damage decrease and your skin will feel healthy.
- Antioxidants – A must for the environment we live in. Antioxidants boost the protection against harmful damage, free radicals and prevent the signs of ageing. Our favourites are CosMedix Pepoxide and Osmosis MD Catalyst AC-11.
- A weekly at home treatment – Giving yourself a weekly or twice weekly at home treatment is a lovely way to not only take some well-deserved ‘me time’ but also to ramp up your skin with clinic grade products. For those who need some extra exfoliation, you really can’t go past the Aspect Fruit Enzyme Mask to lift off those dead skin cells. If it’s hydration you’re after, the CosMedix Restore Moisture Rich Mask is absolutely divine and for the clogged, oily or congested skins, try the CosMedix Detox Activated Charcoal Mask – trust me – this one is amazing!
- Sun Protection – We saved the most important till last, because if we really want to minimise the ageing effect that the sun has on us, then having the right sun protection is a must. The good thing is that with the products we have available, we can incorporate SPF into our daily moisturiser and our makeup. A great go to is the Aspect Hydrashield or the CosMedix Hydrate+. They both offer complete nourishment and protection.
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice on what skincare products are best for you, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor:
Or fill in the Online Skin Consultation and Gaye, our registered nurse, will happily help you to choose the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.
Check out our latest Specials!