Just like a baby’s skin, your skin now needs specialised care and just like fashion, things return to how they were. Your skin as a baby needed gentle products and special care, and now that you’ve reached the big 60 milestone, your skin is closing in on that time when it needs that same attention. So, what should skin care over 60 include? Of course as a baby you were wrinkle and blemish free, your skin’s function was only developing and now it needs help to function…
Oh the ups and downs of life.
At the age of 60 generally you’ve finished menopause, the kids have left home (you hope) and you may be thinking retirement. Sitting back in the sun, reading your long list of books you’ve put off and getting stuck into that equally long list of jobs. Catching up with old friends and enjoying a holiday or two.
For many women it’s a time when children are getting married and for some it’s time when they see themselves as “old” and decide they really want to look after themselves. In today’s world 60 is really the new 40. You are not old, so why should you look it?
Science and technology have made it easier and easier to choose to care for more mature skins which means you can continue into your 70’s, 80’s and beyond, firstly able to do everything you wish and secondly looking and feeling as young as you feel.
Whether you have cared for your skin all your life or whether you have not it’s never too late to start. But first you should understand what is happening to your skin:
To understand this process more please read:
Your skin is likely to experience at various times
- Drier, itchy and maybe flaky.
- More & more age spots, pigmentation and blotchiness appear.
- A dull appearance, lacking the glow of younger days.
- More fine lines, wrinkles which are developing into creases when your face is at rest, and your face is beginning to sag.
As you advance into your 70’s, 80’s and 90’s these will become more pronounced and you may also notice that your skin becomes more fragile and sensitive with an increase in the blotchiness, you bruise more easily, you sweat less and you heal more slowly.
You may have never felt the need to do more for your skin than wash with water and moisturise, however now you may be feeling like you need more, if only to help you feel more comfortable.
OMG – What do I do?
Care for yourself
- Eat well – lots of protein and veges. Cut out sugars and processed foods. Eat more Alpha Lipoic acid rich foods – spinach at every meal.
- Drink water – decrease stimulants such as alcohol and coffee.
- Keep the air at home and in the work place as humid as possible. Buy a humidifier, keep floating candles, vases of flowers, wet towels draped near heaters in the winter – they all help.
- Do regular exercise; find something which you enjoy – make it social too.
- Manage stress and get sufficient sleep. If these are a problem for you discuss with your GP.
- Laugh as often you can. 😊
- And on a downer – have your skin checked for skin cancers annually.
Avoid UV radiation: Physical Protection
- Wear gloves and a hat.
- Protective clothing.
- Zinc based SPF every day – its never too late to start.
Be fussy with your choice of personal care products;
- Use fragrance and nasty free.
- Be prepared to trial moisturisers until you find ones you love for both body and face.
- Use a gentler enzyme based cleanser and exfoliator. Harsh scrubs will not help with the dullness in the long term – in your 20’s and 30’s yes, but now you need gentler products, allowing you to concentrate on antioxidants, especially Vitamin C to give you the glow and assist with water retention.
- Apply moisturisers when you skin is still damp as it helps with absorption and pat your skin dry rather than rub.
- Don’t use soaps, even on your body. Enjoy a lovely naturally scented body cleanser and moisturiser.
Skin care specifics
What products you choose really do depend on the condition of your skin when you start. I have ** products for pure beginners with dry, dull, sensitive skin. You can add in or swap to additional products one at a time over a few months. You need to look for products containing Shea Butter and Alpha Lipoic Acid. These will assist greatly in the re-hydration of your skin.
One range I have to mention at this stage is the newly formulated and branded Rejuvaphyl – it’s amazing and designed with just you in mind. Products to minimise redness and pores and all to improve hydration and even out the tones in your skin. If you just want one range and keep life simple then this is it for you!
I haven’t mentioned the Rejuvaphyl products below as all are suitable.
60’s and 70’s – even into your 80’s
Exfoliate, lift and soothe – Remove the dullness and Stimulate: a weekly mask does the trick. It also allows ingredients to penetrate and absorb as well as making your skin smoother.
- CosMedix Illuminate and Glow
- CosMedix Bioshape
- **CosMedix Recue + Balm – use nightly or mix with other moisturisers
- **Aspect Probiotic Sleep Mask – Sleep in it – YAY!
Hydrate – antioxidants to heal high in Vitamin C, B, Peptides and Stemcells
- ** Aspect Dr Redless
- **Osmosis MD Stemfactor combined with **Osmosis MD Clear Plus
- Organic Nation Supernatural S8 Recovery Oil
- CosMedix Affirm
- Osmosis MD Replenish
- Osmosis MD Immerse – yummy fatty acids for your skin.
- CosMedix Elite Reduce – softly helps red sore skins.
Vitamin A – If your skin is used to a Vitamin A it can be wise to decrease your % as your skin’s ability to repair will be lowered as you age. This is when growth factors and fatty acids are a better choice.
- Osmosis MD Calm
- CosMedix Serum 16
- **Osmosis MD Rescue Serum – DNA repair – we call this Magic Juice in the clinic!
- CosMedix Elite X-age – beautiful for dry skins.
Protect – from both UV radiation and the environment.
What is needed is physical protection both in your choice of sunscreen and moisturiser. The moisturisers should be contain high levels of Shea butter, Fatty acids and/or Ceramides.
- **Cosmedix Hydrate+ morning. SPF based on zinc.
Night creams – ok to use during day – but wear a spf over the top!
- **Cosmedix Emulsion
- **CosMedix Humidify
- ** Aspect SMC
- **Organic Nation Day Cream and Absolute Night cream
Extra’s to help you –
- Hydration Mists – carry in your purse to help you throughout the day.
- Body Care – You want to choose products which will not dry your skin out. Normal Soaps are a good example of this along with many shower and bath gels. Bath gels can also increase slip increasing the chance of slipping whilst wet. Have a play around and choose products for sensitive skins without nasties.
- Eye, neck, décolletage and lip care.
- Eye creams are a must now – add what is left on your fingers to your lips – never waste an eye cream. 😊
- Neck and decolletage also are a must, though you can take all your facial products down this area when you are younger, now do this but add a specialist cream over the top.
- Lip Therapy helps the dry chaffed lips and lines we all suffer from and
- Colorescience Lip Shine (5 colours now) gives you the SPF your lips deserve.
80’s and 90’s
As you advance in years, you need less and less products as less and less will effect change in your skin. However, even in your 90’s you can use products to improve your appearance as well as make your skin feel super comfortable.
My Mum turns 90 this year. She has incredibly sun-damaged skin and over the last 25 years I’ve provided her with products which have kept this, I believe under control. Her skin could be really dry, red and sensitive, but it isn’t and she believes it’s from the care she, (and I) have given it over the years.
She wears full makeup every day and is quite the social butterfly – it is important to her how she looks every day.
I thought I’d share her simple skin routine with you. It is suitable for all older skins.
- CosMedix Elite Gentle Cleanse – morning and in the evenings to cleanse off her makeup
- Aspect Dr Redless – morning and night
- Aspect SMC – evening night cream
- CosMedix Hydrate + – morning.
- CosMedix Rescue+ Balm – she mixes it with the other moisturisers and uses it straight on any part of her body feeling sore.
She also uses diligently CosMedix Eye Genius – nightly.
- She loves the Organic Nation Hydration Rose Spray – she loves roses!
Remember – its never too late to start, or continue, to enjoy a skin you feel good in!
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice on what skincare products are best for you, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor:
Or fill in the Online Skin Consultation and Gaye, our registered nurse, will happily help you to choose the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.