The days are shorter and the nights are longer, and those fun summer holidays are just a distant memory, but Winter can offer some of the most adventurous and action filled holidays out there. So if you’re planning a trip to the snow, you’re in for a real treat…check out our ski holiday skin care tips!
What Skin Care To Pack For Your Ski Holiday
Whether you pack a whole suitcase, or just your favourite backpack, which skin care products you take should definitely be a consideration. You will need to make allowances for the drier air, the extreme cold and of course, the sun. Here are five essential items that I will be packing for my ski holiday;
Your skin is no good if not clean! Take your usual cleanser or see if it comes in a travel kit size (many of ours do).
- We recommend choosing a gentler cleanser than usual such as the Aspect Dr Mild Clean, the Osmosis MD Cleanse or the marvellous Micellar Waters from Aspect. These are all exceedingly gentle in a gel cleansing formula with calming Canadian Willowherb extracts to calm and purify even the most temperamental of skins.
- Alternatively, if your cold weather trip is to a polluted area – rare in the snow I know, it can be good to take an enzyme exfoliating mask and use it in the shower instead of your cleanser. This just really helps to remove the days grime without drying out your skin. Osmosis MD Polish or CosMedix Pure Enzymes are good choices for all, bar the most sensitive and reactive skins. If this is you, choose the most gentlest of cleansers and take the CosMedix Elite Gentle Clean.
Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C Serum is a must for the harsh dry elements. In addition to its collagen boosting properties, topical Vitamin C is also great for protecting our skin against damage – especially the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. That’s because it’s an antioxidant, so it naturally helps to strengthen skin and repel things that could damage it. Being in the cold air can really dry out your skin, and Vitamin C will help by improving the moisture content and overall hydration of your skin on your ski holiday.
- We love Aspect Dr Active C Serum. It contains one of the most important vitamins the skin needs to maintain a healthy balance.
You’re really going to need a richer moisturiser up there on the slopes. The thin, dry air and the reflecting rays of the sun will dry out your skin in more ways that it would trekking through the Kalahari Desert in summer time, so having the right moisturiser is a must.
- We recommend adding just a touch of the CosMedix Rescue Balm to your usual moisturiser, though Aspect’s SMC (Super Moisturising Cream) with its growth factors will also help your skin recover after a big day on the slopes as will Osmosis MD’s fatty acid rich Immerse. There is such choice for you on your ski holiday adventure!
Don’t be fooled!!! You can get pretty seriously sunburnt even in a minus degree climate! The higher altitude means you are closer to the sun, and those harsh rays get you not only on the way down but get you again on the way back up after reflecting off that perfect white snow. So, you’re going to need sunblock – and plenty of it. Make sure you also have a travel size that fits in your pocket for reapplying and be sure to have one for your lips too.
- Start with the Aspect Envirostat Dry Touch SPF 50 before you head out the door. Then the Colorescience Sunforgettable Brush with its SPF 30 – being waterproof for 80 minutes under running water just slips into your pocket with, of course your lip protection – Colorescience Lip Shine SPF 35 – in 5 shades including Clear to make your life easier. We can’t recommend these products highly enough both for sports people in snow or heat and for everyone on holiday’s.
We know taking time-out from your adventures to heal your skin is unlikely – so if you’re hoping to come home glowing with excitement and not just red, dry skin – assist your skin’s healing properties as you sleep with a mask.
- We love Aspect Gold Probiotic Sleep Mask and you will too! Not only does it firm your skin for a youthful appearance, it’s also designed to immediately comfort and soothe skins that require an infusion of moisture and nutrition. Perfect after a day on the slopes! Just sleep in it!
And that is all you need to take. Easy to pack and easy to use –
if you want to look nice in the evening, check out our travel makeup tips…
Have a wonderful trip, stay safe and ensure your skin returns in tip top shape!
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice on what skincare products are best for you, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor:
Or fill in the Online Skin Consultation and Gaye, our registered nurse, will happily help you to choose the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.