Autumn – how do we know it’s here? Well, my 2½-year-old grandson used to tell me with expansive waves of his arms “Grandma – it’s when the leaves on the trees turn yellow and go all crinkly and crunchy !!” He was right, of course, and as a proud Grandma I would tell him so, using my own expansive arm wave! There is another way most people can tell – their skin starts to feel a little tighter and look a little duller as the nights get longer, the scarves emerge and the heaters go on. It’s not fair when you were radiant and bright during the summer! So, why does this happen and what can we do about it? Seasonal skin changes are definitely a trial.
How Seasonal Changes Affect Your Skin
- The humidity changes and it takes a few weeks for our skin to adjust
- The UV damage we have insidiously created whilst the days were longer has settled in and our skin is dealing with the damaged cells, trying desperately to retain water so they can function well
So, our skin suddenly becomes dehydrated, both on the surface and deeper down. It is almost trying to suck in water from the atmosphere, but there isn’t enough there. The more dehydrated your skin is, the more impaired and weak it is, which increases its sensitivity and then whatever skin problem tends to be yours – becomes worse.
This could be more breakouts, milia, blackheads or congestion. Or it could be the more common: dry, rough, uneven skin. Each skin reacts differently, however the treatment is similar for all. Caring for your skin during this change prepares it for the colder winter months which means you reach Spring looking and feeling your best.
How to Help Your Seasonal Skin Changes
HYDRATE, both from the inside and the outside! Click here to read about the importance of water and how to increase your intake quite easily!
ADJUST YOUR SKINCARE REGIME – during these few weeks of seasonal transition, waiting for the trees to be bare, we should be adjusting our skin care regime just a little to help our skin cope. Here’s a few tips:
- Cleanse less or switch to a gentler cleansing product, especially after a good gym workout or time outside in the cold – Aspect Micellar waters is a good start.
- Add an emollient moisturiser to your usual moisturiser, mixing the two – CosMedix Rescue Balm, Aspect SMC or Osmosis MD Immerse are perfect for these times and always handy to have in the cupboard
- Add one bottle (or more, if you love it) of epidermal growth factors, such as Osmosis MD StemFactor, if your skin is quite reactive and always dry. We can’t get enough of this product and recommend it to all our mature, dryer skins especially during the colder months.
- You might need to back off just a touch from other actives. Vitamin A, for example – although it is an essential ingredient, during this seasonal transition, you may need to decrease the strength or use it 2nd or 3rd nightly for a month, then slowly increase again. Some forms of Vitamin C require the same care.
It’s also a good time to visit your skin therapist and have a series of hydrating treatments.
Ideally, three Vitamin A treatments, with C powders added, is perfect for this time of year. However, if your skin is quite impaired, you’ll need to listen to it and start with a series of pure hydration facials or Dermafrac with the Hydrating serums as well as maybe adjusting your makeup. Your skin therapist is the best person to advise you.
By doing all this, your skin will love you and in no time at all, you’ll have that wonderful healthy glow back – ready for winter! It’s about giving your skin the tools to repair itself, from the surface to the deepest layers. Thus, allowing it to function as it was designed – as my grandson’s skin does.
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor. Offering information on what skincare products are best for you. Check out our range of in-clinic services today.
Otherwise fill in the Online Skin Consultation. Our skin care advisor will happily help you. Choosing the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.
Check out our latest Specials!