The best anti wrinkle solutions are the simple ones! Here are eight ways to slow the onset of wrinkles:
- Start young – We know that prevention is better than finding a cure. This applies to our skin too. Arming yourself with the right knowledge about what your specific skin needs are and starting out with a good skincare routine sooner rather than later is the best way to age gracefully. And don’t forget the holy grail of skin care: WEAR SUNBLOCK!
- Eat your greens – It’s been drummed into us since we were children, but why do we need to eat our greens? Green vegetables, particularly dark, leafy greens contain folate, a vitamin that is essential for growth of new cells. This means every cell in our body, including those collagen cells that plump up our skin!
- Stay hydrated – Water is the essence of life. Every cell in your body needs water in order to function at its optimum level, including your skin. You can even get an app on your phone now to remind you to drink more water, so there are no excuses. Nourish your skin with antioxidants to ensure your skin’s cell walls are strong and are able to keep water in.
- Use good-quality skin care – Look for cosmeceutical skin care products that are designed to have a therapeutic benefit on the skin. These products can only be prescribed by a skin care professional and will give you results. They need to contain minimal or no inflammatory nasties and have delivery systems attached to ingredients, so the goodness gets to where it needs to be.
- Love your guts – Gut health shows on your skin. Take care of those intestines by reducing sugar and processed foods (or cutting them out altogether), take a probiotic and eat a balanced diet rich in greens. Keep it simple.
- Antioxidants– These free-radical fighting molecules work by neutralising and repairing damage to structures within our skin, such as our DNA. Where can you find them? In antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, such as blueberries and kidney beans. Red wine and dark chocolate are also full of antioxidants too, but eat only in moderation.
- Exercise daily– Besides keeping your body trim, taut and terrific, it pumps life-giving oxygen to every cell throughout your body and skin. It also helps to clear your head, which should keep you smiling. A smiling face will always look younger!
- Manage stress – Keep those low-grade stress hormones at rest. The changes that happen in your skin when you are constantly under the pump are significantly aging. Enjoy a bath, try some yoga, meditation, pilates or simply a daily walk. Helping your oxygen flow will help you feel calmer and more contented, which in turn will help you have happier, more balanced hormones to influence your skin health.
If you can manage all these, you’ll enjoy how your skin feels and looks throughout your life. You’ll have better looking wrinkles and smoother, softer skin. This will keep you smiling as you age as gracefully as your genes allow you.
If you’d like personalised advice on what skincare products is best for you book now for your skin advisor consultant:
Still not sure?
Fill in the Online Skin Consultation and Gaye, our registered nurse will happily help you to choose the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.