Is it time to rethink your skin care regime? Throughout the year, your skin can change due to many factors, such as the climate or UV exposure. Some of these factors can age skin faster, cause breakouts, and make it feel dry or oily, leaving you not feeling as happy about how we look.
Maybe that is you right now?
If so, let’s revisit the fundamentals of your skin care regime.
- No point in adding anything to your skin if you are not cleansing at least daily. It should be a healing cleanser with no ingredients to harm (read scrub) or strip your skin. A cleanser based on lactic acid or enzymes actually heals the top layers of your skin, decreasing inflammation and water loss, so you are more hydrated!
- You know you need to nourish your body with good food and oxygen and your skin needs the same. However of all the yummies you eat, only 10% actually reach your skin so, if you want to change your skin you need to apply serums directly and do it after cleansing whilst your skin is clean and fresh. Vitamin’s essential to your skin are A, B, and C so ensure your serums contain these. There are also specialised serums such as stem cells and growth factors which help specific skin concerns. These serums often are combined with wonderful antioxidants which is great.
- Vitamin A. This one, though I mentioned it above, does sit alone. Every cell in your body has a receptor on it for this amazing vitamin and if your skin care can deliver it to where it needs to be deep in your skin, it will lock onto this receptor and jump into your cells. This is where you want it so don’t be worried!! Vitamin A normalises skin function thereby tricking your skin into thinking it is young again! Preferably use it at night, after cleansing so it has plenty of time to quietly do its thing whilst you get your beauty sleep.
- This helps to seal in water, slowing water loss, gives our skin a protective layer and those which are humectants draw in water from the atmosphere during the day to help you continue to feel moist and hydrated. This is part of the reason why, when you are in humid areas your skin requires less with the reverse being true here in Tassie, where the humidity is very low, that there is a lot of people with dry skins adding product after lunch. These moisturisers simply can’t work their thing without help.
- UV Protection. EVERY DAY!! This cannot be stressed enough. Whatever the weather, whatever you are doing, inside or out. If you are concerned about your skin you must protect it from UV’s. It is well and truly proven that UVA in particular is THE single most damaging factor in our skins – early aging and early poor skin health. A zinc based, or physical sun block is preferable, but use what you can, cover up and enjoy your hat hair! Your Vitamin D is more efficiently absorbed from the fattier areas of your body so get those things, buttocks and tummy out in the air!!
- A gentle exfoliating weekly mask and a beautiful eye cream to complete your routine and you are perfect and organised!
Other Factors for your year of looking beautiful:
- Diet and gut health
- Exercise – regular but not over the top
- Sleep – if you can’t then do something about it.
- Drinking enough water.
- Stress – we all have it. It’s how you manage it that makes the difference. Mindfullness, breathing, Yoga, – find your thing and fine time to do it.
Still not sure?
Fill in the Online Skin Consultation and Gaye, our registered nurse will happily help you to choose the right products for your skin type or concern.