Long haul flights do damage to your skin. No matter your destination and whether you are luxuriating in first class or down the back in cattle…so what are the Long Haul Flight Skin Care Essentials?
Putting some time into considering your flight skin care needs might be the difference between returning with a well hydrated, happy and healthy skin or one which takes months to recover from all the stresses of your trip.
There’s a number of factors which just suck the moisture from your skin when you travel:
- Airport air; it’s seldom fresh and is heated or air-conditioned.
- Airplane air: low humidity sucks us dry
- Stress: as excited as we are, our cortisol levels rise as we decide what to take and while we contemplate our safety, everything unknown and those we leave at home.
- Diet and water: it’s different to home which can really upset our gut which changes our hormones which affects our skin and because our skin is more than likely to be more dehydrated than usual, this effect is seen and felt more profoundly.
- Alcohol consumption is often increased.
So, it’s more important to give your skin the care it deserves when you travel, be it short or long haul flights. You don’t need to take all your products, just the ones to keep you clean, keep you nourished, hydrated and protected plus some gut help and a drink bottle – water, water and water – even more! Check out these easy flight skin care ideas to help you.
What are the essentials when travelling a long way?
- Book for a hydrating MediFacial before you go and then within a week of your return.
- Leave your active products at home – your Vitamin A and harsh scrubs.
- Include a Vitamin C serum – fight the ageing free radicals that are produced from your internal stresses, as well as the dehydration, pollution and change in diet and water.
- Cleanse, protect and moisturise… this is not just your flight skin care – but a lifetime essential!
- If travelling to a highly polluted area, instead of your cleanser, take an enzyme mask. Use it in the shower daily, as you would your cleanser, and your skin will escape that greasy, dirty feeling most skins suffer from when in dirty air.
- Remove your makeup and keep your eyes soft and clean with a daily cleanse using Micellar water.
The basic products for travel skin made easy
Most people don’t want to take a lot of products away, so why not take a kit! We have one for every skin. As most include a Vitamin A, just pop it aside until you return home and replace the space in the bag or box with another essential – your travel toothbrush.
- Sunblock – a cream, such as CosMedix Hydrate+ (dryer skins) or Aspect Dry Touch (everyone else)
- Plus, a super essential – Sunforgettable Brush SPF 30 for top ups throughout the day
- Extra rich moisturiser – CosMedix Rescue Balm. You can use this on everything “skin” that goes astray: cuts, grazes, burns, rashes, unexpected pimples and of course dry skin!
- Micellar Water – a gentler way to cleanse your makeup away and not stress the skin around your eyes
- Hydrating spray – pop it in your pack to use throughout the day, though you need to decant some for the flight, unfortunately. Still, it will help to keep your skin plumped and hydrated for your return.
- CosMedix Mystic or Osmosis MD Boost – both are based on heavy water, contain antioxidants and help with other ingredients to penetrate
If you love your makeup – check out our recommendations for travel makeup!
Help Your Gut
And if you are going away somewhere where the diet will be richer than you are used to, or simply different with a lot less in the vegetable department a handy hint which I ALWAYS take with me – even to a family weekend in Melbourne – a supply of super foods. It is so simple to grab a glass of water, a teaspoon and my 3 super foods – mix it all together and scull it down after a hard night or before a busy day; it keeps me sane and helps me cope. It’s not so vital to take them everyday – just when they are needed. Plus they are easy to slide in the side of a suitcase.
Last hint – pack your skin care products in more zip-lock bags – the best packaging in the world can fail sometimes so be prepared.
Enjoy your trip, enjoy your skin and see you soon!
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor. Offering information on what skincare products are best for you. Check out our range of in-clinic services today.
Otherwise fill in the Online Skin Consultation. Our skin care advisor will happily help you. Choosing the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.
Check out our latest Specials!