Melasma is an increasingly common skin condition, predominantly in women. It’s where you start to see dark areas of pigmentation on your skin. If you are experiencing this frustrating symptom, you’re not alone! Though it’s challenging to treat, there is hope. Scientists are exploring the root cause of this hyper-pigmentation. This helps find out how to treat it both topically and at its source for permanent change and long-term results! Stay tuned to learn all you need to know about melasma and how to care for your skin.
Learn the causes of Melasma
Research proves that melasma is connected to damage of the liver. This can result in pigmented spots appearing on your face. Hormone imbalances can cause strain on the liver as well. Hence this condition is more prevalent in women, especially those who take birth control pills, are pregnant or new mothers.
Treating Melasma at the source
The best first step in tackling melasma is taking an internal approach. With natural supplements, wellness products, diet and lifestyle changes. Research has shown great success with an anti-fungal diet. This suggests you should steer clear of heavy yeasts and fungal foods like bread and mushrooms. We also recommend supplements such as Restore, a top-selling Osmosis supplement. It contains a patented oxygen molecule that the body uses to fight off infections. It also repairs oxidative damage, one of the key factors in healing melasma.
Holistic Topical Treatments
There are many topical treatments that offer temporary lightening of pigmented spots. Unfortunately sometimes they also inflict long-term damage to the skin. These short term results do not outweigh the long-term devastation. One of our leading brands Osmosis MD prides itself in safe, effective, and holistic products containing natural ingredients that work with your skin.
- Start with Vitamin A. Vitamin A Serums utilise retinaldehyde to improve the overall health of the skin. It does this by creating an environment for remodeling through increased nutrient supply as well as collagen and elastin production. This helps inhibit skin pigmentation.
- Repair the DNA: Osmosis MD Catalyst AC-11 is an advanced serum. It activates your natural zinc finger remodelling process. This process will assist healing to your skin and reduce pigmentation without irritation.
- Reinforce with Epidermal Repair: Osmosis MD Rescue is a revolutionary patented serum. It contains a highly active ingredient called Trioxolane which delivers a boost of immunity to the skin. This will help dramatically improve texture and appearance of age spots. This game changer will actually assist many issues your skin may have.
- Top it off: Don’t forget to top off your skin care routine with a spritz of your favourite Osmosis MD Activating Mist, Boost. This ensures optimal product penetration, light hydration and boosted results!
- Protect from further damage: Lather up with SPF (during all seasons) to prevent further damage. Don’t forget that UVA and UVB rays can cause severe hyper-pigmentation. We have a wide range of sun protection, the most important factor is finding one you are happy to wear EVERY DAY!!!! If it means having a separate one for the beach/sport then so be it.
It’s important not to confuse Melasma with Melanoma’s.
These are different skin issues. With skin cancer being such a prevelant issue in Australia, it’s important to have any suspicious skin spots checked out. Melasma tends to be large areas of pigmentation across your face vs spots. If your concerned, always seek medical advice rather than leave it until it’s too late!!!!
Though melasma can be challenging to treat, if you have patience and treat from the inside out, you will start to see permanent change and results throughout your journey! Regain your youthful, radiant glow!
Still not sure?
If you need more help or would like personalised advice, book now for your consultation with a skin care advisor. Offering information on what skincare products are best for you. Check out our range of in-clinic services today.
Otherwise fill in the Online Skin Consultation. Our skin care advisor will happily help you. Choosing the right treatments and products for your skin type or concern.
Check out our latest Specials!