It’s Seniors Week here in Tasmania and my mum’s 80th Birthday! She thoroughly enjoyed her present, the show Matilda, and so did I! My mum is in great form, very active, grows her own veggies, so involved in life, far more social than me and of course, like all mothers – knows everything!
She grew up in rural Victoria with 3 brothers, and you can imagine spent most of her days running around outside with minimal sunblock! Sounds idyllic… Being very fair I imagine she had her share of sunburn though.
The repercussions of her life is her constant battle with skin cancer on her legs and arms. She’s got some interesting scars telling the story!
However, her face and hands are another matter. She’s been lucky enough to have me as her daughter. When I began my journey into cosmeceuticals about 20 years ago I started mum too. She has not had a Skin Cancer on her face since and she did before! Ps. Sorry mum for not giving you a body care routine back then…
So what did I give her fair very sun damaged and aged skin 20 years ago (aged 68)!!!
- A gentle cleanser, CosMedix Benefit Cream,
- Antioxidants, CosMedix Affirm with CosMedix Pure C in the morning,
- Vitamin A, CosMedix Refine – started 2-3 nightly,
- What was then called Serious Protection as a UV protectant and now replaced with CosMedix Hydrate +
- She used her own makeup and night creams.
This regime has changed over the years as I’ve expanded my ranges, (though CosMedix is still up there!) with increasing use of Actives as her skin has lost the ability to process them effectively (the natural ageing process).
Sometimes I changed her to products which focused on hydration more than healing.
- Results RX Gentle Clean (now CosMedix Elite) – the gentlest cleanser around for all impaired, sensitive, reactive skins (of all ages).
- Aspect Dr Redless – she buys the large 100ml bottle and loves how it makes her skin glow with health. She uses this morning & night.
- Aspect Dr Reservatrol or SMC depending on the season – night cream generally. Sometimes day under her SPF as well.
- CosMedix Rescue+ – which she mixes with these moisturises or uses straight. Also it is great for her day to day gardening ‘cuts and grazes’ and for accelerating the healing of her skin Ca surgery’s that are still happening on her legs & arms.
- UV – CosMedix Hydrate + (zinc based) – she does stay out of the midday sun, covers up and wears a hat but I do think she is living proof of the effectiveness of skin care and a healthy lifestyle PLUS the occasional (read regular) red wine!
If you are over 70 (or know someone who is) and would like to have a healthier skin which doesn’t feel tight, rough or uncomfortable – you don’t need to put up with it.
Follow my mum’s regime of 4-5 products and you’ll find quite quickly that you look brighter, more importantly your skin will be healthier and you’ll feel so much better inside it! If you can’t come into our clinic we do skin care consultations online via our website, so there is not barrier too great for us to help you help yourself!
BTW – as mum is interstate I’ve NEVER given her a treatment of any kind… those of you that know our clinic will know my mum is missing out!