Did you over expose your skin this season?
Whether in the sun or snow you’ve increased the rate it ages and the fact that you are reading this tells me you care about this fact. Skin that ages faster than normal is not healthy skin.
Normal aging results from the progressive decline of the functions your skin relies upon naturally such as blood flow and circulation, cellular growth factors and DNA health, the number of fibroblasts making collagen and elastin, certain stable oxygen molecules, amino acids and, lastly vitamins and minerals. That’s a lot that has to work properly in order for you to look good!
If you’ve turned a little red anywhere on your body you need to give your skin some extra care. It’s not enough to make it feel nice with moisturisers, you need to replenish the goodies that UV A’s and B’s have knocked on their head.
There are 2 main vitamin’s that our skin needs us to give it at these times: B and C.
Vitamin B helps to
- Prevents free radical damage and specifically after the sun stimulates and replaces skin cell’s natural immunity which has been damaged by enhancing DNA repair.
- Restores our barrier function. This slows the water loss though the surface of the skin meaning our skin is more hydrated.
- Protects our skin from the internal heat produced when we are burnt which means the skin heals faster and you feel more comfortable.
- Slows the transfer of melanin from the deeper layers to the surface producing fewer visible brown patches or pigmentation on the surface.
Vitamin C helps to
- Repair the DNA damage caused from UV exposure which means fewer and lighter brown spots and a skin which ages more slowly.
- Repair and stimulate new growth of collagen and elastin fibres; a plumper, less lined, more even toned radiant skin.
Neither of these vitamin’s should be used instead of sunblock. Every day, cleanse, apply these serums, moisturise and blockout. If you do have too much sun apply them morning and night – liberally!
Make yourself feel good and increase your skins hydration by using a heavy water spray which helps with penetration: CosMedix Mystic, Osmosis MD Clear and Osmosis MD Boost or the brilliant Sunforgettable Setting Mist – which is really an after sun spray not a makeup setting mist!! Apply serums and creams after spraying whilst your skin is still damp.